Monday, February 25, 2008

Be Humble

I ran the free, informal, monthly noontime 3K race around the Tidal Basin on Wednesday. This short, furious race is a humbling experience.

I finished the 1.86 miles in 13:25 (7:12). I was pleased because I sliced 27 seconds off last month's time. I ran hard. (Left: L and G, two co-workers, ran the 3K with me this month.)

I was 36th out of 49 runners, a bottom-half showing as usual. A seventy-year old beat me. Eight other runners over the age of 50 beat me. Two women beat me.

Of the 13 runners I managed to finish ahead of, all but two were in the masters category. I beat two octogenarians, a septuagenarian and three sexagenarians, one being a woman. I held off three other women. (Right: Bill is still racing at age 84.)

In all, I beat one man under the age of 43. Sigh.

This is not a race for anyone with a self-esteem problem.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Humbling indeed!

Two years ago, upon returning to running after being injured, I was passed at a 5K by a man pushing a double stroller. Not good for the self-esteem!

You were out there -- and that is a great time in my book.

Sunshine said...

Around the Tidal Basin, Poor Marathon... great running news from you. I try to think of all the thousands of people sitting on the couch.. definitely not coming in ahead of me. Any of us.. any age.. running.. awesome!!
Cooking Light named its "eat smart, be fit, live well" cities (I think this is fresh news).. and Washington DC was 3rd in the nation. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

There must be some speedsters at this race, because I think your pace was very fast!

Sunshine said...

PS
You reported that it was humbling.. but hey! great running!

CewTwo said...

Always fun getting a race report from you Peter!

Rainmaker said...

You never cease to amaze me with all the little local races you run on a weekly basis.

The key thing here though is you beat the 84-yo. Cause really...that's all that counts. ;)

Sunshine said...

Picture of DC runners (You) in Oct Cooking Light was excellent. We checked it out when you mentioned it last fall.
The magazine's survey hit the news here last week.. Don't know why.

Rich said...

Throw in some elementary school kids!

Jade Lady said...

I can't believe how fast you run! And believe me...most people wouldn't want to "weather the weather" in DC at this time of year.

ShirleyPerly said...

Talk about inspiring! I wanna be one of those old fast folks when I grow up :-)

Rainmaker said...

As I prsent for beating the 84yo, I prsent you with the following gift:

You've been tagged. Sorry. Details at:
http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2008/02/lucky-number-slevin.html