Saturday, October 6, 2012

Made From Plants

Last month I spent a week in the northwest on my vacation, driving about 3,000 miles in a rental car through Oregon, Washington and Idaho, solely I had never been to any of those states.  Unexpectedly, far from being monotonous or pure drudgery, the trip was a lot of fun because I had no idea how beautiful those places are.

More on that later.  I saw a baseball game at Safeco Field in Seattle the first day, where the Oakland As beat the Mariners 4-2 in a game that featured five homers accounting for the six runs.  Ironically, I read an article recently saying the Mariners were moving their outfield fences in next season, by up to twelve feet , to promote more home runs, I suppose.

That's a beautiful park.  From the seats way up high behind home plate you can see both downtown and Puget Sound.  It's not quite like being able to see Russia from there, I suppose, but it's still a wondrous sight, and nobody else hardly sits up there.

 I bought a beer at the park and the container was so left coast.  The cup was "Environmentally Friendly, Made From Plants, 100% Compostable."  I so liked this cup I brought it home.

But I have been worrying that it will leak.  Made from plants, what does that mean?  Is it dishwasher safe?

So I decided to discard it.  But I don't know how.  It seems like plastic, so do I put it in the recycle bin? 

Do I put it in the trash instead?  Or do I throw it on the W&OD Bike Trail right of way behind my house as compost?  There this hardy clear plastic cup with its brown, green and red piping and white and yellow lettering seems like it could sit and compost for years.  What an environmental conundrum I have imported from the west coast.