Saturday, March 29, 2014

Isn't technology wonderful!

I grew up listening to LPs.  Vinyl disks that played just fine at at 33 rpms.

Then along came cassettes, and 8-track, and reel-to-reel; oh, so much better.  In college I converted all my Rolling Stones LPs to 8-track cassettes thinking I was advancing with the crest of the historical curve.

Yeah.  I threw those 8-track cassettes out recently.

What was the next perfect thing?  CDs!

Yeah.  I have lots of CDs, all of "albums" from the 60s 70s & 80s, but you know what, they practically all skip.

My LPs hardly ever skipped.  This is progress, right?

Or maybe it's merely hype.  I understand that there is burgeoning a return to turntables and LPs.

I shouldn't have thrown out all those clunky LPs in the 90s.  I threw out my turntable earlier, thanks to my "understanding" of "progress."

So now I'm assiduously rubbing my skipping CDs with toothpaste (a mild abrasive) and hoping they don't chunk-chunk-chunk next time in my CD player as I sit waiting to be reminded of when I was young.  I wish I was back in 1972 loading up my turntable with LPs, of which maybe one would develop and repeat a scratch on one track.


No comments: