Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Final Dental Visit Post

Having fallen in on my 10 mile run home from the dentist's office on the W&OD Trail with a friend I hadn't seen for years, I passed by my house and went 2 miles further down the trail to retrieve my car.  Although I was sore all weekend long from the unfamiliar distance of running 12 miles, I was glad to get a long run of that distance in.

The weather (it was raining and windy) hadn't been a hindrance; I just determined when my dental appointment was over that morning to proceed with my plan and run home.  As my new-found friend, a personal trainer, said, You just put one foot in front of the other and you're on your way!

The ten (or twelve as it turned out) miles had been a time of reflection now that my series of dreaded dental visits was over and observation of natural beauty in rural Fairfax County.  The feeling of having the miles steadily pass under my feet made me feel invigorated and alive.

It had been a long journey from my my two-year hiatus in running due to injury till now, and now I was back to near my pre-injury weight and my former steady routine of running five times a week, albeit at reduced mileage and a slower pace.  I used to feel that running was life, although life is not running (life is more than just running, and it interferes with running sometimes), and I was back to that feeling again.

No comments: