Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Fourth of July

A six mile morning run heralded the arrival of the holiday on a grey day that made for a cool albeit humid run around the greater neighborhood.  I passed by a parade where that neighborhood's kids in a ragged line were chasing after three crawling lit-up and noisy fire trucks.

At noon I had a nice lunch of a Greek Pie and a draft at the Lost Dog Cafe in Westover in Arlington.  There was an extra draft at the table but it went untouched.

The meal wasn't altogether silent though as I had an extended conversation with my server Lily about her extensive tattoos, and she proudly showed me the wolf on her upper arm which is an exact copy of the one her deceased dad had on his upper arm.  Her love for and pride in her departed parent shone through as she described for me the magnificent tattoo she has on her back, which is an original design of hers in honor of him.

I was touched by this earnest and honest display of fealty for a father on the part of a still-grieving child.  After dark I watched the town fireworks from my back stoop to close out the holiday.

No comments: