Tuesday, December 18, 2018

2018, 2d quarter.

In April, I viewed the flowering Cherry Blossoms in the District when I ran around the Tidal Basin once with a friend and also walked around it twice more, once with a friend and once alone.  I also made stops at the National Tulip Library near the Washington Monument and enjoyed its three-week burgeoning glory.  Other flowers important to me came out that month, including flowing phlox and spherical alliums.

In May, I visited downtown Leesburg, forty miles west of my house, and had a delicious lunch there in an old restored bank building, afterwards wandering around its shopping outlets.  I picked up my running pace as I increased my three-times weekly mileage from a mile or two each time to 5-mile loops around the greater neighborhood and a couple of 10K runs on the W&OD Trail, including one weekend run where I was given a free bottle of chilled water from a for-pay fluid stand set up at the top of a long hill by a child, supervised by his mother, because I looked so hot and sweaty.  I ran in the Memorial Day 3K fun run in Falls Church, my first race in a year, and had lunch at the local gourmet pizzeria afterwards with the Empty Chair.

I acquired an I-Phone in June, obviously a life changing event, for the better, right? and donated blood products for the last time to date (maybe I'll get back to it again someday) and went out to lunch or dinner with friends a few times.  My running continued, with 5-mile runs around the 'hood and with friends in the District a few times at noontime.  I enjoyed lunch at the Lost Dog Pizzeria in Westover on Father's Day with the Empty Chair again and arrived at a plan to forego this so-far useless exercise on future holidays and birthdays when my youngest estranged son turns thirty, which will be happening soon enough.

The most notable day in the month was the last day of June when the Protest Against Zero Tolerance was held at Lafayette Park in the District on a very hot day.  This well-attended rally protested against the inhumane current administration's policy of tearing babies from their mother's arms at the southern border and jailing the children at points all over the country, possibly for forced adoption later by eager American parents.  Again I was the Street Fighting Man, just like in the late sixties and early seventies, decades after I thought those days were long gone in America.


No comments: