Saturday, August 3, 2013

Still Running



Last week I started my weekly running off with a solo 5-mile run around my greater neighborhood on a clockwise loop.  That was the first of five runs that week for 23 miles.  It feels good to get my number of running days back to five, no matter how temporarily, and bump the weekly mileage up past my post-injury absolute cutoff of 20 miles.  We'll see if it lasts.

Today I had no one to run with so I set off at 8 a.m. to do the same loop counterclockwise.  Within half a mile I was returning home, my legs felt leaden from the 5.8 miles I did yesterday, and it was raining lightly.

What a wimp!  At 9 a.m. I went back out, intending to do a mile, my absolute minimum for being able to call a run a run.  I was toiling through my neighborhood mile, adding a little extra to make it a 2K run instead of a mere mile, when I found myself by the W&OD Trail.  What the heck, I thought, and I headed out on my loop, counterclockwise.

Forty-eight minutes later I was back after doing 5 1/4 miles in reverse of last week's run.  It felt so great I immediately went shopping after my shower and bought more clearance running toggery at Target (my staple) and a couple of super-fancy winter running jackets (the types that go for $60-$120 in running stores) in great shape and my size at the nearby Unique Thrift Super-store.  Yeah I love running, even if it plays with my head.

1 comment:

Black Knight said...

Running is important, the distance and the pace are only little details. I have learned this lesson after many injures. All the best!