Thursday, February 15, 2018

The news business

And in local news...I ran into Nicholas Benton, the publisher of the Falls Church News-Press, in a restaurant while he was waiting for his take-out order to be completed. I walked up to him and asked, "How's the Fake News business going?"

Since he didn't know me, he had no idea how to take this remark, which was meant to be a droll conversation opener. His is a great small town newspaper. 

I asked him if he remembered my oldest son who once worked or volunteered at his shop years ago, by either his former name Jimmy Lamberton or his current name Jim Rogers. He didn't, and I didn't tell him that I hadn't seen the young man (not so young now, he's over 30) in a decade and we moved on into discussing the Washington Post and the two Timeses, New York and Los Angeles, three great newspapers.

Hey, oldest son of mine (and my two other sons as well, and Laura too), I'll be at the usual place at noon on Prez's Day. I hope to see any or all of you then. ;-)

No comments: