Monday, July 8, 2019

North Carolina

I went away for my summer vacation, a 2500-mile car trip in seven days, driving through North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia to see people and things. I went on average 357 miles a day, an exhausting daily regieme but I saw and did things that I have been meaning to see or do for a long time.

Primarily, I wanted to get away from the District over the July Fourth week before our president took over that celebration of our nation's birth and turned it into a military hardware show (look at my tanks!) and further displayed his colossal ignorance (the Continental Army captured all the airports in our region, a strategy that led to us winning the Revolutionary War, during which it soundly defeated the British on the ramparts of Fort McHenry).  I certainly didn't want to stick around to see the despicable Proud Boys strut around the National Mall in support of their reprehensible idol or hear the see-no-evil nonsense spewing forth from the moronic brains of the cult-leader's base.

I started off by driving to Vandemere, North Carolina, to stay for a couple of days with my college roommate, Jimmy Sherwood.  He had recently visited me in Falls Church and I wanted to return the gesture.

Life in Vandemere, a dirt-poor small town on North Carolina's Inner Banks, is simpler than up here in DC--taxes are low, government pensions aren't taxed by the state, you can go around half naked and barefoot and there are no policemen around anywhere to watch out for or to tell you what you can't do.  When I got there after a seven hour drive, I hung out with Jimmy on his porch in his house on stilts overlooking his wrecked dock, a casualty of hurricanes Irene and Florence, and we ate a po' boys' dinner of chicken parts, mustard greens and taters, purchased from the Piggly Wiggly for under $2 total.

No comments: