Saturday, January 11, 2020

Peter calling for Peter...

My iPhone called me. I was sitting at my dining room table when my cell phone, nearby but untouched by me for an hour, suddenly rang and announced that I was calling me, and showed me my own photo for confirmation. 

I answered this anomaly and said, "Hello?" On the other end was a recording from the Microsoft Security Department telling me that my account had been compromised and I would lose my services within 48 hours unless I reset my settings, which they would help me with.

I hung up. How did my phone call itself? 

An hour later the same cell phone, untouched since Peter called Peter, suddenly binged and when I looked at it, a text was scrolling on its black face starting with "HEY". I picked the phone up and Siri said, "I'm sorry but I didn't hear that," and came alive with her familiar clucking noises and swirling colors at the top as she waits for a further command or query.

I held my phone still until Siri went dark and silent, then checked my messages. No message had come in and I couldn't find the "Hey" script again. 

I got paranoid and wrapped my phone in a towel so it (or somebody) couldn't see what I was doing through my camera, and hopefully whatever it could hear going on in my house would be muffled. 

I wondered if the infernal being could see through cloth, and speculated that it could probably hear as good as HAL did in 2001 (Hal tried to kill Dave, remember). I googled "possessed phones" and the stories there were many and hair-raising. 

So my question is this. Should I take a hammer to my phone or my phone to a priest?

No comments: