Monday, January 28, 2019

Looking for a House on the NC Coast

After I drove to Jimmy's house, my college roommate at CU oh so many years ago, in NC for a short stay, we talked about the benefits of living in NC, as he does as a federal retiree, as I am.  He expressed a wish to move to a more populous seaport town in the state, and he was very persuasive in  his exposition as he explained it to me on the evening I arrived.

The next morning I arose early and went out at sunrise to try to catch a sunup shot across the water to the east, as Jimmy lives on the water on the coast.  I went to the town boat launch and shot pictures of the rising sun from the park there.

I have sometimes thought of moving out of the DC area myself, as my property taxes kill me (about $9K per year, not counting my car tax, the cost of the town sticker for my windshield and the surface impermeability tax on my lot), and the faux president has punished the true Americans in the Northeast who didn't vote for him by not allowing local taxes to be deducted anymore in his tax giveaway to the ultra-rich, so I happily accompanied Jimmy on his house shopping quest in the next few days with a thought that perhaps I would find a good situation for myself too.  But first we went to a local restaurant in nearby Bayboro for breakfast to an establishment where he hadn't been in years, Charlie's, to indulge in good old North Carolina home cooking.

Our hunger more than satisfied, we toured a nearby seaport town where we looked at some good real estate deals.  After visiting that town's local microbrewery, we enjoyed some fried local seafood for dinner back at his place and had late night phone conversations with former college dormitory roommates about attending the 50th year reunion next year of the first coed dormitory at that university.

No comments: