Friday, April 24, 2009

Something

Last year I listed my thirteen favorite albums under “Favorite Music” on my Profile page. (You do read bloggers’ Profile pages, don’t you?) After having these choices anonymously occupy my Favorite Music page for a year, it is time to effect a change. I shall put up 13 singles in their place.

It was hard to winnow the list down to thirteen, but each LP holds a special place in my heart. Most are from the late 60s when the possibilities of life and society seemed so endless to me as I was growing up. Included are two later albums that made the list in honor of my two sons who were under 21 last year, Life is Peachy by Korn (1996) associated with Johnny, and Parachutes by Coldplay (2000) associated with Danny. Miss you guys! You too Jimmy! I will touch upon all but those two albums in the next few posts as I put the singles up in the place of albums on my Profile page.
.
One concert album made the list, The Concert for Bangladesh. This was a compilation of songs performed at two charity concerts held on August 1, 1971 at Madison Square Garden that George Harrison of the Beatles organized along with Bengali musician Ravi Shankar. The cause was to help alleviate the suffering of refugees from Bangladesh, a country formed in the early 1970s out of an area partitioned from Indian territory that emerged as a sovereign nation only after a war with Pakistan.

In addition to George Harrison, the album has a star-studded lineup of, among others, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Leon Russell, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston and Klaus Voorman. The songs are pure rock and roll, with loud raucous versions of It Don’t Come Easy, Wah-Wah, Beware of Darkness and Jumping Jack Flash, and haunting versions of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes the Sun, A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall, Just Like a Woman and Something.

You're asking me will my love grow,
I don't know, I don't know.

1 comment:

A Plain Observer said...

My choice of music is so purely romantic is pathetic! and just like the movies I like, I might be the only one to even remember them