Thursday, July 19, 2012

Do you use a film camera?

I am one of those old-fashioned people who still uses a film camera.  You can buy great cameras with phenomenal lenses for $4.99 at the thrift stores.

Usually I just carry a disposable camera around, although this bothers some people, especially younger people.  They just get annoyed that I don't have a digital camera, and when I snap a picture, they often say, "Oh, really?"

When people snap a photo with their cell phone, no one says, "Oh, really?"  That's normal apparently.

This means I have a contract with a mail-order photo-developer.  I snap pictures and two weeks later, when the developed pictures come back in the mail, I re-live the moment all over again.

Sometimes I don't know what the picture is about or where or when it was taken.  I'm not the greatest picture-taker.

Pursuant to my mail-in account, obviously, I received by mistake somebody else's pictures last week.  Nice to know there are other film picture takers out there, although their snapshots sucked as bad as mine.

I sent the pictures to the intended recipients, without asking for reimbursement for postage or anything.  Today I received in the mail a letter from them enclosing the $2.30 postage in cash in the envelope.

My kind of people.  Linda wrote,

Dear Mr. Lamberton, Thank you so much for taking the time and and money to mail our pictures to us. We have been wondering where they got to.  Enclosed is $2.30 to pay for the shipping.  It's good to know that there are still some people out there who have time to think of others.  Again, thank you so much.  [Signature.]

No, thank you, Linda!  There are still some of us people out there.

 
.

1 comment:

A Plain Observer said...

I was an avid 35 mm picture taker. I moved on to the digital, but something got lost in the process. I no longer have albums...yes, I have digital pictures but no one is going to sit through them like when I had albums. I can have digital albums, but I dont.