Monday, October 7, 2013

My new car

I went car shopping on July 4th.  I walked over to a nearby used car lot where I'd spotted a car that attracted my attention, a convertible in my price range with only 10,000 miles on it.

As I walked up, the car was being driven off the lot by four people.  I was disappointed but when I inquired about it, the used car salesman said those folks were just out for a test drive.

After they brought it back and departed, I took the car out.  I was waiting for the dealer to get into the passenger side to go on my test drive but he said, "I thought you said you were local.  You don't need me to come along if you know the area."

I'd never test-driven a car alone before.  It was fun; I went through the parking lot near my house to see how maneuverable it was and how it handled potholes, I went over the steepest hill in town to see what kind of power it had, and I drove it one exchange on the Interstate to get a feel for its top end.  It was nimble, powerful and zippy.

Then the dealer put the top down for me and I was hooked.  I wrote a check for it, including a service plan, on my house equity line-of-credit and drove it home.  I just love it.
(Enjoying a morning run at Bluemont with my running buddy John by having the top down.)

6 comments:

A Plain Observer said...

ahhhh, what a feeling. I have not ever purchased a car because I love it, they all have been because I need them obviously for transportation and for financial reasons.

Sunshine said...

Sweet!

Unknown said...

Before the purchase, it's ideal to test drive the car you're eyeing for. It may have the sleekiest design, but you wouldn't know if it's the car for you unless you drive it. It's great to hear that you immediately found this one to your liking, and that your purchase has been smooth. How's it going now?
Arlyne @ Spartan Toyota Scion

Unknown said...

Congrats on getting a new car, Peter! The car chooses its owner, and I believe this car will be perfect for you. How's it now? Just remember to have regular check-ups to maintain its performance and prolong its lifespan. Good luck, and remember to have fun! :)

Ava Harness @ Elite Toyota

Unknown said...

That was a love at first sight, Peter! It’s good that you found it while it was still available. Otherwise, somebody could have bought it by now. So, how’s your driving experience with her? I hope you’re having a great time going on trips or just simply driving around the city with her. All the best!

Damon Dunn @ Cash 4 Cars Indianapolis

Douglass said...

Damn, bro, nice score on the car! Reading this brought me back to when I bought my first convertible. Very exciting time and I am stoked that you got the car that you were looking far. Next step is balls out on the highway, pedal to the metal all the way!

Douglass @ Viva Kia