Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Walls of Silence

Running used to be a lot more courteous and inclusive before everyone started wrapping themselves in little mobile cocoons of isolated oneness with their headphones as they run.  World and people nearby, there's nothing you could give me or show me because I am me and only I matter.

I generally don't try to speak anymore with runners I pass or catch up with if they're wearing headphones.  Which is well over half the runners now so running has become a little bit of a grimmer task these days with a wall of silence sealing runners off from each other.

It's less fun and more work now.  That's why I like running with my running buddies but they're all at work and I no longer work.

I still run with John sometimes, as he is retired also but he's married now so it's different as he has other obligations and preoccupations.  Lately I have taken to speaking to runners I pass even if they're wearing earpieces, as sort of a social experiment, and the results are varied, which I'll talk about in the next post.

No comments: