Monday, February 19, 2018

Putting aside Toys, p.2

. . . So I got up on my appointed day to leave on a cross-country trip to deliver my 2000 Toyota Tacoma PU to my friend in AZ to consummate the sale of it to him we had negotiated over the phone and went around the corner with it to my local used-car lot with it. I told them there (they know me) that I was driving west to sell the PU to a friend and what the price was, and I said I would eschew the trip and sell it to them if they matched the price.

Obviously, my price was low, but fair for my friend, because the dealer agreed to it, minus $200 for "gas consumption" on the trip (and motels because the trip would take days of driving, plus a flight back).  Built like a tank, my friends described to me my very own single-owner 18 year old Toyota with 99,900 miles on it, and good for 150,000 more miles at least.

I hated to part with it, I loved that truck, and I felt bad selling it out from under my buddy out west, but he understood.  He still gave me hell about it though, because he had used up some of his capital with his new wife to talk her into agreeing to accept such an old vehicle into the household as their second car.

She would get the BMW, see, with the automatic transmission and he would get the manual transmission 2WD pickup that was a little bit beat up but not to bad to drive.  Boy, those Japanese make great, long-lasting cars and now I was down to only one vehicle, a 2015 Nissan 4WD PU.

No comments: