Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Chicago is in...

...four days. Yikes!

Currently I am sick. I have a terrible head cold. I ran five miles today and it exhausted me. I couldn't breathe. All the discharge from my sinuses ran down my throat. I bubbled as I ran along.

I have a doctor's visit scheduled for tomorrow.

Last week I was in Colorado on an exhausting series of depositions in a contentious case. Opposing counsel is, well, I'll be charitable and say nothing. Opposing counsel mentioned the nuclear sanction (a bogus threat) of Rule 11. That's how the case is being defended.

Flying back from Denver on Friday, when the plane set down at Dulles at midnight, I thought one of my ear drums was going to burst. My head was so stuffy I couldn't make my ear pop no matter what I did.

I'm getting ready to fly back to Denver next week for more depositions. Oh, that's after I fly to Chicago on the day after tomorrow to run a marathon.

In the last ten days, I have run eleven miles.

This is how I currently feel about running in the upcoming marathon in the city on the lake.

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need of
some stranger's hand
In a desperate land

Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain
There's danger on the edge of town
Ride the king's highway
Weird scenes inside the goldmine
Ride the highway West baby

Ride the snake
Ride the snake
To the lake
To the lake

The ancient lake baby
The snake is long
Seven miles
Ride the snake

He's old
And his skin is cold
The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is calling us
The blue bus is calling us
Driver, where you taking us?

I think I'm freaking out. Do you suppose Jim Morrison knew what it was like to run a marathon?

5 comments:

CewTwo said...

I like your devotion! Your description of the current ailment was, umm, err, descriptive!

That never say die attitude does get you places, Peter!

I wish you luck with your cold! I wish you skill and ability with your run!

jeanne said...

Dude!!! i hope to GOD you are taking tomorrow OFF. as in STAY home, in bed, and REST. please!!!

you've had a string of bad luck, what with the foot and now this. Well, you will do your best and give it your all. as my friend BOLD likes to say: SAFETY TABS OFF! What's the worst that could happen? you blow up?

Hmm, i don't think i'm cheering you up any.

I hope you are asleep and not up reading comments or blogs.

SLEEP and drink WATER.

Your pals will all be rooting for you.
:)

jeanne said...

p.s. love the doors.

Dori said...

I'm with Jeanne--stay home and sleep. Don't even try to run. Eat chicken soup--with noodles. It sucks when you get sick, especially during a marathon taper. My worse nightmare, actually. You'll be all better on marathon day. Good luck!!!

Susan said...

I am confident that you will do VERY WELL at Chicago. I agree with NBTR -- get some rest.

Just think of how fresh your legs will be for The Windy City!!!