Thursday, January 4, 2018

Movies

Last year I saw ten movies.  One I can't remember, but the others were, in loose order of how I liked them, these, although I might have the exact titles wrong:

Dunkirk.  A rousing, well-told spectacle about the British evacuation by boat lift of their surrounded army from the French mainland in 1940 during the fall of France.  It might have saved the world from the scourge of Nazism, although as Churchill drily noted, wars are not won by evacuations.

Darkest Hour.  Another Dunkirk era tale, this time focusing on the lonely struggle of Winston Churchill to keep Britain in the fight during their darkest hour of World War II, and thereby maybe saving the world from the scourge of Nazism, once America finally got in the fight a year and a half later.

Beauty and the Beast.  Yeah, a musical.  I got dragged to it under false pretenses but I liked it.

Hidden Figures.  A stirring (and true) tale of black women's fight against not only sexism but racism.

The Batman Leggo Movie.  We sneaked into it after another show.  It was funny.

Despicable Me 3.  We sneaked into it after another show.  It was funny.

Thor.  It was deadpan funny, inspiring, well-paced and well done.

A Monster Calls.  It was about a tree in the cemetery, is what I remember.  And fatherhood, I think.

Fist Fight.  It was dreadful and unwatchable, something about a beleaguered schoolteacher in a tough school.  We walked out after 20 minutes and snuck into another show.

No comments: