Wednesday, June 13, 2018

I Love Canadians

There's a special place in hell for the Canadian prime minister said Peter Navarro, a key Trump advisor and special sycophant.  Trudeau stood up to Trump against the president imposing consumer-wrecking tariffs against Canadian steel and aluminum, even as he warned that American consumers would pay the price of the new taxes, perhaps even more so than Canadians would, at the G-7 summit in Canada to which Trump wanted to bring his discredited Russian master, Putin, to be the special spoiler of the party.

Navarro has apologized, sort of, for his choice of words because, he said, it diminished the force of his message. A leader of our friends to the north whose military watches over our undefended border from any approach of a threat to us over the top of the world, and whose sons stormed ashore alongside our boys against Hitler's Fortress Europa on D-Day, perhaps ensuring our success in that risky venture, and now Trump condemns our closest allies through his despicable surrogates.

Recently I encountered a car full of Canadians which was stopped at the lowered crossbar of a Metro parking lot after a Capitals hockey game, trying to pay with their Canadian currency the fare at the automated kiosk which only accepted a Metro fare card for payment.  As I walked past they asked if I could release their car from its detention at the gate, and I applied my fare card to the payment box so they could exit the lot and return to the home they were visiting.

They tried to bestow me with Canadian dollars for my deed and my minor expense but I turned them down and said, "I have done you a small favor and I want only for you to return the favor someday to an American who needs help."  I am sure they will somehow, and I love Canadians.

No comments: