Tuesday, January 21, 2020

MLK holiday.

The Martin Luther King weekend holiday this year was pretty eventful.  The weather turned bitterly cold and it snowed briefly after a spate of unusually warm weather.

 On Sunday I went to the evening wedding of the daughter of a friend and former colleague of mine down on the new DC waterfront on the Anacostia River. The bride and groom made for a handsome couple, and we danced into the night and I made the last Metro train for the night back to Virginia by a bare 4 minutes.

On Monday, being the actual holiday, I went to the local gourmet pizzeria for lunch, where I had a tasty Cheese Steak pizza, which tasted much like a Philly cheese steak sandwich, and enjoyed an excellent Allagash Curieux draft, brewed by a Portland (ME) brewery in a process that ages the beer for eight weeks in barrels formerly used to age bourbon.  The place was busy so I ate at the bar and planned my next three lunches there next month, on President's Day and the two birthdays of my February babies.

After lunch I went down the street a short way to the Stray Cat Cafe, a sandwich, draft and hamburger place that had recently undergone a makeover to add all-day breakfast, Mexican food and shakes and floats to its menu and renovated its interior.  Inside I made the acquaintance of a retired scientist and we had a fascinating conversation about sound waves, mudslides, political assassinations, reading and writing, GIFs and, wait for it, divorce and its deleterious long-lasting effect upon children deeply affected by a parent suffering from a narcissistic personalty disorder (NPD).

No comments: