Monday, April 16, 2018

A happy day

Recently I had a birthday, which I celebrated by doing a LSD of 5 miles, my longest run since last spring.  It left me sore and tired, but I feel that I'm making progress in my return from lingering injuries and as I shed weight, hopefully it'll go easier.

The weather was perfect and I ran by several splashy spring-color vignettes.  There are few things so great as a long run early on a beautiful day.

At noon I had lunch at the local gourmet pizza restaurant, treating myself on this "special" day to a brown ale draft and an Italian Pie.  As usual, I kept my eye on the door entrance outside the window table I was sitting at, but no one I knew, or at least nobody I recognized, came in.

Leaving a pizza slice symbolically for each of my estranged sons, I bid adieu to my dining companion of this past decade, the Empty Chair, and departed.  JJ&D, I'm sorry I failed to meet your unbelievable, out-of-this-world parenting expectations but I have no regrets and wish you to know that I love you.

4 comments:

CewTwo said...

Happy birthday, oldster! No, no! I meant to say, "Youngster!"

Enjoy it as you will.

I am headed for Peru, so my birthday was spent driving to altitude so as to acclimate a bit first - it is like the 3rd time in preparation!

peter said...

I remember spending a week in Leadville, Charlie, and for the 3d, 4th and fifth day I just couldn't catch my breath and I was contemplating returning to Denver but on the fifth night the distressing oxygen-hunger broke and I was fine. Happy b'day to you too, Cew Two, and have a great time in Peru!

CewTwo said...

I love the burro race in Leadville.

Every year in the summer months. They travel over Mosquito Pass just south and East of The 10,00 feet in elevation city.
Mosquito Pass?
I take the Jeep over every year!

peter said...

Wow. The year I was there was during the 100 Ultra race, over the pass and back again and anybody who comes in under 24 hours gets a coveted belt buckle and everybody else gets to just go home. I saw the winner come in, he won by 3 hours, and he immediately retired to a nearby bench where he lay still for 45 minutes as his wife tended to him then he went home. He didn't look like a winner so much as a refugee but he left it all on the course. The second place winner had been an hour back but when it became apparent he wouldn't catch the winner I think he took a nap on the trail. I watched all the winners come in then nobody else did, I think they just shoo all the runners off the trail at the 24 hour mark. There's nothing so fun as watching a 300 meter stretch of ground as exhausted runners come in every few minutes or so for four hours, eh, Charlie? Only runners, past or present, would enjoy that! I have seen pictures of your jeep rides, they are spectacular. The season is fast approaching!