Saturday, April 14, 2018

Gobble gobble

I was stunned yesterday to pass by a wild turkey hiding in the scrub of the easement to the W&OD bike trail behind my house.  There's a feral cat that lives back there that I see occasionally, and a deer family that I have seen early in the morning, but I hadn't seen a wild turkey before.

It was not happy to be spotted and ran away.  As a matter of fact it ran into my yard to hide behind the evergreen tree in the corner of my front yard by the sidewalk.  The neighbors on one side of me asked if I had caught it and turned it into soup.

The neighbors on the other side of me ignored me when I called over the fence line to ask if they'd seen the wild turkey.  They live in an internet cocoon and aren't much use for anything to anyone in their constant fixation on their cell phones and their ear buds which shield them from prying voices and other-human contact.

After following the wild turkey long enough to get a few pictures of it and shoo it out of my yard, I let it skulk back into the brush beyond my back fence line.  Wild turkeys that get too used to contact with people or which get fed can become aggressive and bothersome, so my preferred wild turkey is found at the ABC.

No comments: