Saturday, August 25, 2018

It hurt

By Tuesday morning I already knew I had retinal detachment, as I had consulted Dr. Google. But it was worse, I had three tears in the superior region of the retina which was ruining my vision, probably permanently. There's no telling why it occurred.

I was scheduled for surgery that very afternoon and whisked off to the pre-surgery ward and given that famous surgical open-in-the-back garb in the doctor's hope that a surgical window would open sooner. "Who's going to come pick you up after surgery," I was asked.

I frantically made calls and imposed myself upon a good friend, who left work, stayed with me and took me home afterwards. She is a true friend and if my sight in that eye is saved, she will be responsible for that. I spent a restless night as my eye was taped shut and it hurt.

My recovery instructions were to keep my head parallel to the floor 12-14 hours a day for two weeks, then very sedate physical activity for six weeks, and no strenuous physical activity for four months in the hope the repair would take permanently upon the delicate structure of the eye. Try keeping your head very parallel to the floor for 12-14 hours, then extend that for 13 more straight days.

No comments: