Thursday, August 23, 2018

Who you gonna call?

When my vision started failing in my right eye, I underwent two emergency surgeries upon my eye a week apart.  Each time when I went to see the ophthalmologist, I did not expect to suddenly be scheduled for immediate surgery and I was confronted with summoning a caregiver to come get me afterwards.

I have two friends in the area who would do that for me but they both work and when I called, suddenly they were unexpectedly being asked to leave work for the day to come to my assistance, which each one readily did.  My thoughts about asking for help never turned to any of my three sons, all men around thirty now, two of whom, I believe, live in the state, three lads who I helped bring into this world and whom I bestowed love and care upon for all those years until, during and since the nuclear divorce launched upon the family by their mother whom I believe to be a covert narcissistic who overbore their immature wills for her gratification at the time, and they haven't communicated with me or any Lamberton since then.

As I have publicized, every holiday at noon I go to the same restaurant for lunch, hoping for a fresh start someday with one or more of them, also I fruitlessly went to pick them up on every other Friday for court-ordered visitation until the last one turned 18 (their mother showed them how easy it is to be a scofflaw) and I provided full college tuition and fees for two of them without a word of thanks from either of them, and still hold a full tuition plan for the third (although the IRS has demanded that the plan be vacated so taxes on it can be collected). That is what familial love demands and manly duty requires, in my estimation, generous and upstanding attributes I obviously didn't impart to these three mighty unusual adults who apparently still worship at the altar of the mother that they love oh-so-much.

As I approach my seventies, it makes me sad that I couldn't count one bit on any of my three fully mature adult sons when I really needed help. I have a third operation coming up in a few months and I want them each to know that if anything unexpected happens they would probably be contacted by one of their Lamberton aunts or uncle, if possible, to provide a small amount of cash to each one of them.

No comments: