Monday, October 8, 2018

Columbus Day 2018

The Columbus Day holiday has a changing identity.  My neighbors are from Bolivia and they hate the holiday, as they blame Columbus for the destruction of the indigenous original culture of the Americas.  My sister in Columbu, Ohio, says that much of the city doesn't celebrate it and the city is considering removing the statue of Christopher Columbus at city hall.

Because it was a holiday, I went to my local gourmet pizzeria at noon for lunch.  It was crowded already, with no available tables, but I carefully looked through the entire restaurant for anyone I knew, or that might be of the right demographic of a male in his late twenties or early thirties, and no such prospects appeared unfortunately.  I was of course looking to see if any of my kids had come to start getting on with the rest of our lives after a decade and a half of total silence following the divorce, when, as young and malleable children, due to an aggressive and  naked case of classic Parental Alienation Syndrome, they took the side of their mother, who has every attribute of her mother, covert narcissism and extreme self-centeredness and selfishness.

I took a seat at the bar, where I could watch everyone entering the door, but after no service  for about fifteen minutes, due to the busyness at the business, I left.  I went to the grocery store, bought my favorite rising crust frozen pizza and an oil can of a beer, and thirty minutes later enjoyed a lunch of a 3-meat pizza and a beer.

It was delicious and enjoyable, far superior to dining with the empty chair at the restaurant, as I have on most holidays for coming up on a score of years.  I am sorry for each of those three young men (and the one wife I know about), as I can't conceive persons acting thusly, easily and freely casting a parent and entire families (my family) out in this short life with hardly an inward glance.  Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?  Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times times seven.  Matthew 18:21-22.

No comments: