Wednesday, October 10, 2018

How Republicans used to be

On Sunday when I was reaching out to 40 households in an affluent subdivision from a dedicated list handed to me at the Jennifer Wexton campaign HQ, I knocked on the door of a spacious house in the middle of my three-plus hour stint of canvassing alone in the Tenth Congressional District where State Senator Wexton is attempting to unseat incumbent Republican Congresswoman Barbara Comstock, referred to as "Barbara Trumpstock" at more than one household I spoke with.  An elderly man came out of the garage and asked if he could help me.

I spoke with him in the driveway about Wexton as he surveyed the perspiration streaming down my face on the humid day.  When my initial spiel had run down, he said in a friendly tone, "I'm a pretty firm Republican, but I can offer you a glass of water or a cold soda."

I  was thunderstruck.  No one else at 70 households had offered me refreshment in the two days I had been canvassing.

I thanked him for his kind offer and for speaking with me and went on to the next address on my list.  That's how Republicans, and Democrats, used to be, kindly to each person they interacted with.

No comments: