Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Flipping the Tenth: The penultimate weekend

When I came home on Saturday after canvassing in Virginia's Tenth Congressional District, working to unseat two-term Congresswoman Barbara Comstock from this seat held by the GOP for four decades, I walked in my house to the news that the worst attack on Jews in American history had happened even while I was knocking on doors to put a check on Trump.  In this political climate of hatred and divisiveness driven by constant odious comments from the top, now realized in murderous actions by lunatics inspired by such rhetoric, I knew I had to go west to canvass in the tenth again on Sunday.

The campaign HQ of Comstock's democratic opponent, State Senator Jennifer Wexton, was humming.  Delegates Jennifer Boysko and Kathleen Murphy were there to knock on doors for the candidate.  I received a list of 43 houses with 60 voters to go contact in a subdivision full of closed end blocks emanating off a windy main road.

The block long neighborhoods were full of houses displaying American flags, vehicles sporting Tea Party license plates, and barking dogs in yards and houses signaling that a stranger was on the block.  I always went to the end of each cup-de-sac and then worked my way back towards my car, knocking on the designated doors as I backtracked.  I generally got a favorable response, as there were several voters in households on my list who were motivated to vote the democratic slate, seemingly as a negative reaction to the president with Comstock acting as his surrogate on the ballot.

The only overtly negative response I got was at one house where I was speaking with a 20 year-old listed voter when his father came to the porch and intervened, saying the household knew the positions of the candidates and he'd already voted in response to their positions on partial-birth abortions.  His glare told me that he was not a Wexton supporter and I asked his son if that was his position too.  The young man announced that he was not voting because of all the "noise" out there and I thanked them both for speaking with me and walked away, wondering if I had just started a war in that household or perhaps inadvertently put a vote, the son's, in the Comstock column when his hard-visaged father got through with him.

Vote on November 6th!

    

No comments: