Friday, February 15, 2019

A trip to a picturesque coastal town

Last month I took a trip to North Carolina to visit my college friend Jimmy for a few days, after visiting with my cousin overnight in southeast Virginia.  On the penultimate day of my trip, Jimmy and I went sightseeing in a picturesque seaport town on the North Carolina coast to see if Jimmy, who is considering moving to a more lively town than the one he currently lives in, would like to move there.


His girlfriend lives near there, and it is in that town where he presented her with a ring a year or so ago to represent the current state of their relationship.  Plus, he told me, there is a restaurant on the main drag in that town which has terrific loaded hotdogs for very cheap.

Disappointingly, the establishment was closed since it was a Monday.  I guess we should have checked the Internet about that, as many other places in town were also closed due to it being Monday, such as the restaurant on the water where he and his girlfriend went to have a drink to celebrate their relationship after he gave her a diamond ring at the local Episcopal church, which was also locked up tight when we went to visit.

So we spent the day walking about downtown residential streets to get a feel for the town after we perambulated its small business area and waterfront park.  Then we drove around town to look at houses one last time before we headed out to return to his house, since one of the bridges to nearby Oak Island, where his girlfriend lives (she was away taking care of her father's estate), was out due to hurricane Florence and we feared that driving there as we originally intended to would delay our return trip so much that it would cause us to get home long after sundown, since I was driving and my eyesight for driving after dark hasn't been tested satisfactorily yet after my spate of eye surgeries last year.

No comments: