Sunday, February 17, 2019

Home again

I returned home from my little six-day trip to North Carolina last month on the day after my college friend and host Jimmy and I went to tour Southport, a seaside town near where his girlfriend lives on Oak Island and where Jimmy has contemplated moving to.  On the day I left I got up before dawn and made the 363 mile drive in good time, arriving back home early in the afternoon.

It was an eventful trip, despite the three days that involved travel, during which I saw my closest cousin, visited with my university buddy, and we toured three North Carolina towns looking for houses he might inquire about to buy.  We partook in local food, especially seafood, local beer, and paid our respects to a vanishing breed by attending the burial services of a World War II veteran.

My favorite parts among many were getting up early every day to take pictures of sunrise, touring seaports especially Oriental and Southport, relaxing in Jimmy's house on stilts on the water as darkness descended and the bustle of the day calmed down, and making calls to friends from college to start planning our 50th-year reunion of our arrival as teenage newbies at our college co-ed dorm.  The worst part of the trip was driving through the tunnel under Hampton Roads from Hampton to Newport News which was dark, narrow and long, and bothered me because its low light environment affected my vision so soon after my eye surgery of a few weeks before.

The trip stirred up memories of yore, for shore.  Seeing people again whom I have known for decades and who were such an integral part of my life in the past was good and, in one instance, cathartic.

No comments: