Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Corolla

On the first full day of my summer vacation, I arose early to watch the sunrise from the Vandemere town dock.  Then my host Jimmy and I took the free ferry across the Pamlico River and drove up to Corolla on the very northern tip of the Outer Banks to visit my sister who was vacationing there with her family.


I took a dip in the ocean.  There are wicked currents at play on the beach there and the surf was up so being in the water was a bit of an adventure.

Then we visited the brick Currituck Lighthouse.  For $10, you can climb its 220 steps.

We missed the last Pamlico River ferry so we had to drive the long way around throughWashington, North Carolina (little Washington, they call it) to get back to Vandemere.  After a dinner of a fried flounder sandwich ($2.99 at a local Stop 'n Go) I retired because I had to get up early the next day to drive to Atlanta to see a Braves game at the new SunTrust baseball stadium in Atlanta's northwestern suburbs, far, far from downtown and not even remotely served by MARTA.

No comments: