Wednesday, July 17, 2019

My summer vacation

Nothing could compare to being in Normandy in April and treading upon the very beaches where giant men from America, Britain and Canada stormed ashore on June 6, 1944 and thrust a dagger into the heart of Nazi Germany.  But my seven-day 2500-mile car trip through five states had its salient moments, most notably in visiting with my sister and her family in Corolla, NC, visiting with my college roommate in Vandemere, NC, and visiting with my best friend in ninth grade at Staten Island Academy before I went off to boarding school. (My nephew, my sister, and my friend from CU.)

When I visit the south, I like locating the town square and seeing its usual statue of a Rebel sentry, and reading that town's notion of why the war was fought on its base, because of my interest in the Civil War.  I do the same thing in northern towns.  (Ellaville's Rebel sentinel, still on duty.)

The major-league baseball game I saw in Atlanta's new baseball stadium in a Cobb County suburb far from downtown was fun, and I was glad to see a Bryce Harper home run, but that park isn't in the hallowed spirit of hoary baseball because it has no connection to Atlanta anymore, it's just a suburbanite's destination site for an evening of expensive entertainment.  What kept me going alone in my car during the hours of driving wasn't Siri giving me often wrong directions as I tooled along the highways but my Sirius radio subscription, listening to rock and roll songs on the Classic Vinyl station, till I discovered the same songs would be played each day at about the same time, so I switched over to the Comedy Channel which didn't suffer from day after repetition.  (Hammerin' Hank's statue is inside SunTrust Park, you'll have to get there by car, pay for parking and purchase a ticket that can be displayed on your hand-held device to see it.)

The best part of my vacation, beside seeing people dear to me, was my trip to the site of the Andersonville Civil War POW camp, because it was so haunting to be in a place with so many displaced souls (thousands of Union soldiers perished there) and at a place where heroes, giant men, trod.  I also liked visiting the D-Day Memorial and Appomattox in Virginia, again because I was following the path of giant men who altered history not too long ago.  (A beautiful sunrise in NC.)

No comments: