Wednesday, July 31, 2019

So far...

After my health woes of the last 12 months, once I was fully healed by May, I started on the long and arduous road back to running.  I don't run with anyone anymore as all my former running buddies have moved away or in one instance, she doesn't return my calls. Life moves on, friends fall away.

I created a plan--run 3 times a week, paying close attention to distance (low mileage) and pace (plodding). Most running plans fail because of unrealistic goals, and I am closer to 70 than 60.

I started with a 1/2 mile per jog for two weeks, then kicked it up to 3/4 miles per run for two weeks with a "long" run of a mile. By June I had pushed past the I'm-going-to-die feeling each run and although my pace remained a mere plod, I found a "2d wind" late in runs, and I was up to a mile each run.  Most importantly I was still at it. 

I added a little weight lifting before and after and I stretched prior and subsequent to each run, a significant factor that I believe has kept me injury free so far. 

July brought further progress, 3 miles per run with a long run of 4 miles. I recently hit a weekly total of 10 miles. 

Unfortunately I developed a mystery calf injury last week and although I I felt like a sloth, I took the full week off and it healed. Monday I plodded two miles and I intend to do 3 miles my next run. So far so good.

No comments: