Thursday, August 1, 2019

...So good

I was bad yesterday, it was my every other day to run and I didn't.  I took the day off, after worrying about not running all day as the day slipped away.  I finally decided that I had done a Ti Chi class the evening before so that qualified as an exercise day and I could take the next day off.

I got up early today and hit the trail for 3.1 miles.  It felt great, though I'm still plagued by The Slows and the first mile takes an awfully long time to fall away.  But I fell in for a very brief interlude with the local high school's cross country team on a summertime training run, said hello to everyone I ran by and received a reply every single time, and even kept ahead of a faster runner who was 100 yards back when I hit the W&OD Trail for a quarter mile (he had reduced the gap to 10 yards by the time I turned off).

It sort of felt like old times, when running was enjoyable to me before my injuries and subsequent weight gain.  I sweated off three pounds on the run.  I had exercised and showered and was ready for the rest of the day by mid-morning, a great feeling I had practically every weekend morning when I worked and ran long on weekends.

Not that three miles is running long.  But I feel like I'm getting there, and I'll get there if I have patience and stick to the plan.

No comments: