Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Mother's Older Sister

Good bye Aunt Betty. I'll miss you.

I remember visiting you as a boy at your work in Denver at the local Selective Service Board, and you giving me as a gag a mock Selective Service letter that started out with "Greetings." I used it a few years later as proof of age to purchase beer on Staten Island when I came home one weekend from boarding school. Those were simpler times. (Below: Aunt Betty bought me dinner in Denver in September. And she bought herself a drink.)

Thanks for helping me out when I went off to college in Boulder by giving me a place to stay in Denver whenever I needed it. Thanks for helping me out with Jimmy when he was a baby. Thanks for coming to visit me in Nantucket, Louisville, and Falls Church.

I loved visiting with you and Uncle Bob in Parachute in August 2001 with my three boys, the last time I ever had my sons all together with me. I loved visiting you last September in Denver, and in February in Parachute where you lived by yourself. Thanks for taking me out to lunch then. I hope you chuckled over the funny birthday card I sent you the next month for your 91st birthday. (Above: The view outside Aunt Betty's door in Parachute. How about you? Got view?)

My life was better for knowing you. We had a lot of fun together. I could always count on you. I loved you. (Right: You wouldn't believe how much fun you can have with a 90-year old. Love Peter.)

9 comments:

Petraruns said...

A wonderful post! What a great woman to have had in your life - you were both lucky to have each other. Wonderful to see the pictures of you two having fun together when she was 90 and great that she was still able to live independently in such a beautiful place at her age.

Your sorrow about your sons is clearly enormous, and understandable, but it's good to see you are still able to carry on experiencing life and loving people. As they say in South Africa "Alles sal reg kom". Everything will come right. I fervently hope so.

ShirleyPerly said...

My sincere condolences, Peter. Great that you had many enjoyable fun times with her throughout the years. She certainly had a great sense of humor!

Sunshine said...

What a great tribute!
She was a marvelous gift in your life.. and, therefore, now a great loss. So sorry.
Congratulations to you for making recent memories with that special person.

Christie said...

Sorry for your loss. What a great way to remember your aunt though. I especially love the picture of her with the big drink. Too cute.

jeanne said...

so sorry peter. betty sounds like a great old broad. I hope i grow up to be like her. :(

Anne said...

Your Aunt Betty sounds like the kind of relative we should all be fortunate to have in our lives, at least part of the time. My condolences on your loss, Peter.

Rich said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Peter. May you always remember the good times.

Jade Lady said...

Sounds like she was such a great aunt to you. I'm so sorry about your loss. She sounded like one great lady. I love that photo of the town, all blanketed in snow!

Don said...

People like Aunt Betty teach us how to live. So glad that you had her in your life, and she had you in hers.