Friday, August 29, 2008

Dark Pleasures

I feel like I've been untrue. Less than a day after I took my first whirl on a Smart Bike in downtown DC, thoroughly enjoying the ride although wary of the dangers of riding a bicycle in the wild woolly west of downtown DC traffic, I checked the SmartBikeDC website at the end of the workday (it electronically keeps track of the current whereabouts of every returned bike), discovered there was only one bike left at Judiciary Square, the bike rack closest to my work, and hastened out the door and over to Judiciary Square, five minutes away. I fought off the urge to run there.

Wednesday's ride was an experiment, a breaking in period, a getting-to-know-you experience. Yesterday's rendezvous was a guilty pleasure. I didn't need to bike on the surface from Judiciary Square on the Red Line to Metro Center on the Orange Line during rush hour. Trains come every three or five minutes then so the transfer is swift.

The bike was still there at Judiciary Square. Telling myself that I was cross-training a little, I took 'er out for a spin. I didn't have my bulky briefcase hung over my shoulder like the day before so I felt more nimble as I made my way through the busy, broken downtown streets over to Metro Center, using muscles that haven't been worked out in decades (you know, the "bike muscles"). I thought about maybe riding over to the further Foggy Bottom Orange Line stop on the next outing.

I hope this doesn't get out of hand.

12 comments:

David said...

I think I'll look into starting a unit here for ClearChannel. We have equally loopy drivers.

jeanne said...

Too late, it's already out of hand!

Susan said...

I agree with Jeanne; sounds like fun has commenced!

Sunshine said...

Great to know you are having fun!

Petraruns said...

I loved those in Paris and Rome - although DC drivers have got to be better than the French or Italian ones..

nylisa said...

RYC: Thanks! I'm getting excited now, just thinking about it!

NYC needs something like SmartBike. But then again, we need the bike roads first to save us from being run over by the cabbies and delivery trucks!

CewTwo said...

During the DNC here, they initiated a bicycle system. !00 or so are staying after the big show! I liver in the suburbs and don't head downtown much, though.

There is a freedom that is experienced whilst riding a bike. Nothing quite like it!

ShirleyPerly said...

Bwahahaha, welcome to the dark side :-)

Sunshine said...

Thanks for your comment. We haven't seen the Republicans. They are in downtown St. Paul where nobody else is allowed this week. But we have seen enormous law-enforcement presence... nearly everywhere. We could see the Republicans on TV, but I've been watching the weather channel.
Happy biking!

Anne said...

Sounds like a novel idea. I hope it catches on, though I've driven in D.C. and can't imagine drivers making room for cyclists. Stay safe!

akshaye said...

Haha.. "get out of hand".. too funny!

Sunshine said...

Hope the silence means you are having a good time!