Friday, October 4, 2019

Running some

Once my eye woes were behind me, come May 1st, I started easing back into running with a slow, gradual buildup because I knew to try to do too much too soon would send me back to the couch, where I'd been for two years due to my serious health issues (an achilles strain and then a retina detachment leading to four eye surgeries to save the sight, sort of, in my affected eye).  I mapped out three runs per week (which I'm still adhering to religiously), starting out at half-mile runs.

I couldn't even do a half-mile run that first run (or rather, slow jog) but now, five months later, I'm up to 12 miles a week, with 10 pounds melted off and more importantly, I'm adamant about running three times each week, and doing my prescribed mileage, without shirking any runs as the seven days of each week pass by immutably.  This week I did 5 miles, 4 miles and then 3.1 miles (5K), at a pace averaging out at 11-12 miles per minute.

Lordy, it's hard.  I'm so overweight and I feel so old and unmoving.

This week though was indicative that I'm progressing, albeit slowly--5 hilly miles in 61 minutes (12+ pace), 4 hilly miles in 45 minutes (11+ pace) and a 5K today in 36 minutes (12 pace, but it included 2 minutes lost in the town library while I returned some books and slurped cool water from their water fountain).  Tomorrow I am signed up for a 5K race.

No comments: