Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Still Running Some

I've run upon some hard times recently.  Since returning to running in May after a 2 year layoff due to health issues, I bumped my weekly mileage total from zero to 12-13 miles early this month, still running three times a week.  I had a long run of five miles, my longest run yet.

Although I've been very cautious in climbing the ladder of increasing my mileage as my conditioning slowly returned, I think I ramped up the weekly total too quickly, before my joints had settled into the new routine.  Plus I don't think my 5K race this month where I was forced to run fast (it's all relative!) 's My hip especially was giving me trouble, pain actually, whenever I stepped up to climb into the driver's seat of my hi-rise pickup, so I went to my dock, for the second time this year.  Like never look behind you because someone may be gaining on you, don't go to the doctor if you can help it (or stand it) because you might find out things you don't want to know.

Diagnosis: Arthritis in both hips.  The subtle but persistent pain in my hip coupled with the diagnosis made me consider abandoning running for awhile.  But I had worked too hard the last half year to do that so for the last two weeks I have cut my mileage total to the bone but kept at it, running my mandatory three times a week.  It's a discipline thing, getting out there and lurching into motion for a mile run even.

I've enjoyed my short runs, easily loping along for a dozen minutes or so but still breaking into a sweat the last half of the shuffle.  I still mark down 3 entries per week in my running log (I note only distances now, not times anymore), with a long run of only a couple of miles, and it keeps me from giving up running entirely again.  My conditioning is deteriorating slowly from my current level I am sure, but it hasn't dropped off a cliff, and I am still in the game as my hip pain subsides for the most part, and I plan to bump the mileage up the scale even more slowly soon.

No comments: