Monday, December 23, 2019

The year in review Part 3

In September I mostly concentrated on making my running better.  Although it seemed like a long time since May when I had come back after two years off, progress was slow.  I ran a timed mile in 10:13, disappointing in that it was over 10 minutes (early in the decade I could do a sub 7:00) but at least it showed I was up to the point assigning myself challenging tasks.  I was up to 12 weekly miles, running three times a week, with a long run of five miles, but aches and pains were cropping up in my ankles, knees, feet and calfs, a warning sign.  I decided to cut my mileage way back so I could continue running three times a week to maintain the continuity I had achieved so far.  I ran through the District a few times, running by some beautiful spots like the National Floral Library, below, alongside the picturesque Tidal Basin.

In October, with trepidation, I ran my first race in five years, a 5K in Bluemont Park.  I was happy just to finish it, in 32:39, my slowest 5K ever by a few minutes, but it was a step along the way to participating in a meaningful way in recreational running again.

In November I took a drive along the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park with a friend, as we usually do every year.  We saw a bear shamble across the roadway this year.  He was given all the time he needed to casually perambulate the ribbon of asphalt and disappear into the brush by waiting motorists.  I went to Columbus for Thanksgiving and enjoyed a couple of hockey games, a couple of runs, an interesting conversation with a table full of old men Trumpites I crashed at a McDonald's there early one morning, a delicious holiday feast and spending time with family members at my sister's house.

In December I went on three Christmas Tree Runs in the District (one was actually a walk and bicycle affair after attending a demonstration at the Capitol), and our dangerous faux president was impeached, an historical event which will possibly correct our veering course down the timeline of world history.  Stay tuned.

No comments: