Sunday, September 16, 2018

Uh, okay so far...

I went in for the one-week-after check-up after my second eye surgery in a week for a detached retina but the prognosis following that surgery, after the first surgery failed, was okay.  I now had a gas bubble in my eye, which would have to be surgically removed later, instead of a gas bubble which would have just dissipated eventually if that surgery had been successful.

The surgeon said the repair of the three tears in the superior region of the retina, the subject of the first surgery, were pretty set now, and the subsequently deteriorating bottom of the retina in the inferior region, the subject of the second surgery, was still adhering although it was still "wet" (not yet adhering although still in place).  He set the next check-up for two months away.

I couldn't lift anything over 5 pounds for weeks if not months, or do anything that would induce strain including sneezing much less scrubbing a sink basin or a floor or pulling up weeds in the yard.  Try living alone and see how that goes as the weeks turn into a month or more.

The weeks of recovery started to drone on.  My eye hurt sometimes, and gave me occasional sudden pangs of pain, and it itched maddeningly, and I started feeding my paranoia by reading reports of persons who had this surgery multiple times, a half dozen or more, in the hope of it taking.

No comments: