Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Surgery

Tomorrow's the big day. Report at 6:30 am to pre-op to save your sight.

Anxious?  Yeah.

Didn't get your bloodwork done this week?  Oops, I forgot, I'm old and can't remember things.

Maybe they'll send me home because I didn't get it and push the eye surgery further down the road.  Couldn't be worse than obviating the October 30th surgery because the dock broke his arm right before that date, necessitating a delay because of him.

I'm O+ anyway so any old blood will do, I think. At least they keep calling me to donate because they love my blood.

The first (of three, counting tomorrow) eye surgery didn't go so well, it hurt a lot and failed to boot so I am leery, to say the least.  They won't tell me exactly what went wrong but I think they blame me for both aspects of the botched surgery.

Me, I blame the first anesthesiologist, because I never felt such shocking pain, in my eye no less. I wasn't expecting it, having had several surgeries before, including where I've been aware of my surroundings, where I never felt a thing.

But this was different, and I never willingly want to experience that again.  Unless I was forewarned, so I could be forearmed.

Perhaps I am wrong, and every so often surgery hurts so much that you'll never forget that first cut for the rest of your life.  Luck of the draw maybe, or perhaps I pushed my so-many-times-painfree quota past its limit.

Or perhaps I got someone who went to Western Florida State instead of Harvard and skipped most of her classes.  I certainly never saw her after the surgery (the surgeon called me as I was being driven home) and although I have voiced my suspicions about the reason for my difficulty in lying still for the surgery, no one has confirmed or disputed my stated inklings.

I can safely say that I never want to get operated on again.  But I'll show up tomorrow and hope (trust) that I won't suddenly feel crushing pain.

No comments: