Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018, Part Three

Thanksgiving day came and went with the fun of it centering on finding food for dinner that evening (a Korean joint) and navigating the milling frenetic chaos of Black Friday, on Thursday night, to get a cake for my nephew for his birthday party after our meal of Korean BBQ.  That impromptu party dispelled the lingering gloom on the holiday caused by the very serious medical condition of my sister's husband's mom who had been moved to hospice in the hospital.  The next day dawned and I took a frigid walk at dawn in the nature preserve a few blocks from my sister's house.

Then I drove to the nursing home to say goodbye to Jimmy's uncle there, glad that his condition was noticeably improving, especially with the advent of the visit from Jimmy, who was already present at his bedside, cajoling him into arising from bed to walk the hallways as part of his rehabilitation so he could return to his house soon.  I returned to my sister's house midmorning and she and I went to the hospital to visit her mother-in-law who was still unresponsive as my sister read to her from a book but seemed to stir when her daughters, and son and grandsons, arrived soon afterwards to be with her.  Discussions were resumed to have a traditional Thanksgiving meal in Dublin at the house of my sister's sister-in-law the next day and my sister and I returned to her house to do a little meal prep for that upcoming meal.

I was driving back to DC the next morning so I packed to get ready to depart early in the morning; then Jimmy came over to visit and stayed for an enjoyable hour.  He had never met my sister before and he too, was leaving early the next morning to fly back to his home.  Later in the evening my sister and I drove her husband's webber grill over to her sister-in-law's house in my truck, about fifteen miles away, so that the cooking of the turkey could begin early the next morning.

I left at 6 a.m. on Saturday on the nine hour drive home and it was a miserable trip as it rained the entire time and there was pea soup fog in the West Virginia mountains, where for about forty miles visibility was reduced to about 60 feet, or three lane marker stripes.  Regretfully, my brother-in-law's mother passed away peacefully last week.  Although I am sad at her passing, I am glad that I was able to see her again, even though it was in a hospital setting, after not seeing her since my sister's wedding in the eighties.

No comments: