Sunday, January 20, 2008

Winter running

It's cold! Frigid even, 23 degrees with a gusting wind. Treadmill weather? Not necessarily.

I never run inside, so that makes it easy for me. Unless it's icy-treacherous underfoot, I'll be running outside.

The secret to running in the cold is thin layering. Compression shorts and polyester warm-up pants take care of your lowers, along with polyester socks and good running shoes of course. Tights and long trunks work too.

The uppers should be all-polyester items (a little nylon or spandex for "grab ability" is okay). Go to Target and stock up for under $20 per item. Or Walmart for a dollar or two less. These are not pretty running togs, just cheap and effective.

Today I wore a tank top, a short sleeve t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt and a nylon wind shirt. I took off the wind-shirt and tied it around my waist when I got hot.

I also wore polyester gloves and a stretchy thin polyester headband that I pulled down around my neck for a loose neck warmer when my ears got hot. I wore my small waist pack with my camera, money, a fare card, a GU packet and a small tube of Vaseline stuffed inside. I carried my half-liter water bottle. When my hands got hot, I hung my gloves on my waist pack belt.

I would have added a polyester scarf (go to Old Navy), a polyester fleece zip-up (22 bucks at Target) and a polyester mesh ball cap if it had been really frigid and windy.

What I have described is actually not that much stuff. I keep it all isolated on a shelf on which I keep only running gear. I also have a yard-sale dresser dedicated to my various sizes and types of running shirts, shorts, leggings, sox etc. I call it the Polyesser. I can be out the door in 5 minutes with a stop at my Polyesser and shelf.

11 comments:

Backofpack said...

Peter,
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I find I run warmer than others, so I don't have to wear as many layers. It's kind of funny, but what is essential to me is arm warmers. Even with a coat, my forearms get cold and make my hands numb - arm warmers solve it for me!

My husband and I are planning to be in DC for the MCM in the fall. It'll be his second MCM, my first. Should be fun!

Sunshine said...

Great organizational skills, too!!
Everything helps..

Sunshine said...

!!
Thank you. Sweet!

We have been running for only about a half a dozen years.
Appreciating informative blogs of other runners...

DawnB said...

Thanks Peter, today I ran a very hilly 15k 23F I would have died in all that stuff. I only had two layers on and dripping wet when completed. Wish I was as organized as you when it comes to my running gear!! nice job

Tim Wilson said...

Great post. Great for those of us that don't run in the cold very often. Getting ready to head out the door for a 23 degree run here in Atlanta.

jeanne said...

you are so organized!!!

so it's 23F (real feel 19F) and i have NO IDEA what to wear! I guess I could go to target but...by the time i get back I will have totally talked myself out of running.

plus i'm trying something new: running around my neighborhood, which is nice and hilly so maybe i'll be toasty warm.

time will tell!

Rainmaker said...

Nice to hear there is someone else out there who doesn't run inside...ever. Although last Feb 14th's Ice Storm made things a bit 'challenging'.

Good post. Target is the epicenter of all things cheap for sports (like the $8 duffel bag).

Susan said...

Wise lodging! I have all my stuff in TWO places...

Susan said...

OK... actually the Garmin, by the computer, makes three...

David said...

I am jealous of your polyesser. I wish I had one but there's the matter of the Mrs.' extensive wardrobe in all its seasons, styles and colors stashee in every closet and dresser in the house.

I like starting on the cold side because I invariably warm up and regret overdressing. 23F is not a temp I am too familiar with so I will cut and paste your post into my cyber running wardrobe file (she can't squeeze me out of there!)

ShirleyPerly said...

I'm glad I rarely have to think about wearing long sleeves or tights. The other day, however, when it was in the 40's (which cold for central FL), I had some major difficulties getting my butt to the pool, which is outside, of course. A fleece top and warm-up pants would have been nice!